On Wednesday 10 th April 2013, there will be an online lecture by music therapist Russ Palmer, who will share his experiences as a deafblind cochlear implant user.
The online lecture takes place at:
10:30 – 12:30 Finnish time (GMT+3*)
09:30 – 11:30 Swedish, Norwegian and Danish time (GMT+2*)
07:30 – 09:30 Icelandic time (GMT)
* Daylight saving time
Russ will share his experiences and thoughts on:
- musical perception as a deafblind cochlear implant (CI) user
- useful advice for other people using CI – or planning to get one
- what staff working with people with deafblindness could learn from Russ’ experiences
- differences between using one or two cochlear implants
- music as speech therapy for children with CI
In his lecture, Russ will show how he developed his music techniques through the piano and guitar. He will demonstrate together with a fellow musician, how they interact during a music performance, using haptices (part of social-haptic communication).
To participate in the online lecture, you will need an internet-connected computer (and, optionally, headphones). Instructions for the online participation, and for testing the connection in advance, will be sent out to those who have registered for the lecture.
The lecture will be held in English. It will not be interpreted into other languages.